Monday, July 28, 2008

21/07/08 Mailer 1: Poetry Reading on 24 July

Hi everyone,

I think I mentioned the TFA poetry readings in our last (and only) meeting. Keki Daruwalla and someone else are reading on Thursday. Check out the attachment for details. I will most likely be there, and some of my classmates as well. So try to make it. Let's make it a group outing as much as possible.

In other news, I've come to realise why it's so hard to have meetings. Every month, at least one week is consumed by tests. The rest of the time, we have shortened hours or extra classes or else, I'm so happy that I have half an hour to eat the disgusting sandwiches I make for myself every morning that I shut out anything that involves making a poster and/or saying something intelligent.

However, I really, really think we need another meeting, and I really, really think you should come. Until we start reading, writing and discussing, we're not going to feel excited about anything. I'd like two things from you:

  • Let me know which lunch break this week will be OK for you: Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I guess this counts as a vote.
  • Tell me what you want on the agenda for the meeting. I'd like us to have at least two activities for the second meeting: 1. Discussion about the blog 2. A reading

For those with failing memories or other genuine reasons for not knowing what I'm talking about, the blog was something we wanted to create so that we have a space to post our writings and get feedback. Additionally, I think it would be great if the writing we submit is themed. For example, writing about our intermittent monsoon, or the glorious nature of chicken soup. Also, we could have profiles on each of us.

Would any of you like to volunteer reading some of your writing during the meeting? You can read anything you like, as long you wrote it yourself. Broad categories: poetry, prose, non-fiction. Your reading should be about ten minutes long, and we can have a discussion for about fifteen minutes. What do you think?

The first person to reply with a "yes" and "this is what I'm reading" email will be decided on as our first reader. Those who follow will be scheduled for the following meetings. Please don't be shy.

If there is anything else you'd like to discuss or ask, please let me know. I like emails.

In future, we can discuss published writers, our favourite books and genres, etc. Let's also try deciding the agenda for the next meeting this week, so that things don't get stagnant.

In terms of workshopping, I believe Sushmita from III PyEE has been picked to attend the Keki Daruwalla workshop next week. So congratulations! Tell us about it when you come back, like a proud soldier. An epic poem of some sort will be appropriate. Hehe.

I hope the British Council organises more workshops in association with MCC. When I was in first year (yes, I'm nostalgic), I attended workshops by Patience Agbabi, Roger Robinson and Lemn Sissay. And then there was a performance by Benjamin Zephaniah and his troupe of dreadlocks. Those were the good days. So, if anyone knows people, let's organise a workshop, no?

Lastly, this mailing list. I'm afraid I like it too much to give it up and I will periodically send you these typo-ridden, unproofed attempts at humour and communication (not always the same thing, I've noticed, especially in my case). So if you'd like to be taken off the list, the procedure is like so:

  • Click on "reply".
  • Type "unsubcribe".
  • Click "send".

After you do those three things, I might consider not spamming your inbox. There is a nice side to me, after all.

Also, if anyone has Srishti's email address, please let me know. She's from II PyEJ and has long hair. She was the one whom we praised highly for admitting that she still liked Enid Blyton. It takes guts to say stuff like that in the pretentious world of now.

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Cheers everyone,

Aditi

PS If you don't remember me, I'm the one you unfortunately gave your email address to. (Yes, I know: don't end with a preposition.) I sat at a desk along with Nupur during the fests. The sign on the desk said something like "Poetry Writing Contest" or "Short Story Writing Contest".

No comments: